Sunday, September 7, 2014

Japanese Straight Perm: Watanabe Hair in Tokyo

When I lived in Yokohama, I would trek into Tokyo to have my hair done by the famous Aki Watanabe! It was always a pleasure (and a relief to know that my stylist really understood me and western hair)!

Aki-san repeatedly begged me to take the plunge and get the Japanese straight perm for a few reasons: 1) I like long straight hair and was damaging mine with all the blow drying and straight ironing, and 2) I otherwise had unprocessed healthy hair, which made me a good candidate.

I had heard horror stories of westerners having their hair fall out or break off due to the treatment, and the perm is not cheap, so I was wary. However, rainy season was approaching, so I decided to take the plunge!

I'm so glad I did! I received a million compliments immediately after the process, and other westerners soon flocked to have the straight perm as well! I've never had such a positive reaction to a beauty treatment. And I loved the sleek look, and the wash and go routine!

The process itself was super time consuming: a wash, setting, another wash, straightening, and a final wash and styling (if I recall correctly). It took more than 5 hours.

It's now been more than 3 months since I had the process done, and not only do I have the curl/frizz in the new growth hair, but some curl and frizz has returned to the processed hair. I'm not sure why this happened, since I thought the straightening was permanent, and not temporary like the "Brazilian blowout". So far I've not found a stylist in Kyoto that I trust to touch up the straight perm, but I'm on the hunt! (Otherwise, I'm booking Aki-san on my next trip to Tokyo!)

UPDATE: I recently went to Tokyo and booked an appointment with Aki san. I got another straight perm, which worked perfectly, but it fried the ends of my hair (which had straight perm from last year). I'm now searching for a good repair treatment, otherwise I'll have to chop off some inches!

No comments:

Post a Comment